There are some fabulous events being held around Mission Beach and surrounds tomorrow - unfortunately the weather may impact some of the outdoor pool/swimming events so maybe call into Mission Beach Resort and join in all the fun they'll be having there!
TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 2
Issued at 10:49 am EST on Monday 22 January 2024
Tropical cyclone impact likely on the Queensland coast from Wednesday.
Ayr to St Lawrence, including Mackay and the Whitsunday Islands .
Details of Tropical Low at 10:00 am AEST [9:30 am ACST]:
Intensity: Tropical Low, sustained winds near the centre of 55 kilometres per hour with wind gusts to 85 kilometres per hour.
Location: within 55 kilometres of 15.3 degrees South 153.8 degrees East, estimated to be 860 kilometres east northeast of Townsville and 420 kilometres east northeast of Willis Island.
Movement: slow moving.
A tropical low (05U) is slow moving in the central Coral Sea and is likely to become a tropical cyclone during Tuesday. The low is forecast to begin moving to the southwest later today, towards the east Queensland coast.
The system is forecast to cross the coast, most likely between Innisfail and Airlie Beach and during Thursday. From Friday the system is forecast to move inland and further south.
The watch area is expected to extend to areas further north as the system approaches the coast. The current watch area covers the next 24 to 48 hours.
GALES with DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to 120 km/h may develop about coastal and island communities between Ayr and St Lawrence from as early as Wednesday morning and extend to adjacent inland areas later on Wednesday.
HEAVY to LOCALLY INTENSE RAINFALL which may lead to FLASH FLOODING may develop about coastal areas between Ayr and St Lawrence from late Wednesday before spreading to adjacent inland areas and possibly further north to the North Tropical Coast during Thursday and into Friday.
From Friday, the system is expected to become an inland rain depression and HEAVY RAINFALL may develop across central and southern inland, as well as southeast Queensland over the weekend as the system tracks south.
As the system approaches the coast, a STORM TIDE is possible between Ayr and St Lawrence. Large waves may produce minor flooding along the foreshore.
People between Ayr to St Lawrence, including Mackay and the Whitsunday Islands, should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.
- Information is available from your local government
- For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website (www.disaster.qld.gov.au)
- For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500 (for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage).
The next advice will be issued by 5:00 pm AEST Monday 22 January.
This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and the State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
The following dates are indicative only.
The timetable will be confirmed when the Notice of Election is issued.
- Notice of election - Monday 29 January 2024
- Candidate nominations open - Monday 29 January 2024
- Close of electoral roll - Monday 5 February 2024
- Candidate nominations close - Tuesday 12pm 13 February 2024
- Ballot paper order draw - Wednesday 10am 14 February 2024
- Postal vote applications close - Monday 7pm 4 March 2024
- Early voting* - Monday 4 March to 15 March 2024
(*early voting in rural and remote locations are likely to be less than a full two-week period. Details of dates, times and locations will be available on the ECQ website during the election)
- Election day - Saturday 8am to 6pm 16 March 2024
- Close of return of postal votes - Tuesday 26 March 2024
For all our golf loving enthusiasts, please find below, their weekly golfing program. Call 4068 5140 for more information.
For all our new Community Members (and existing ones who may need a reminder or update), please find some useful Apps and phone numbers of helpful/essential services:
- Report feral pigs through the feral scan pest mapping app
- QWildlife app - report crocodile sightings
- Report injured cassowary 1300 130 372
- Report other injured wild life - MB Wildcare 0439 687 272
- Report potholes on Main Roads (Tully-MB Road; El Arish-MB Road) 131940 or
- Snap Send Solve App - report Council issues (potholes, bins, rubbish, signage, flooding etc.). Woolworth trolleys.
- PetrolSpy app - latest fuel prices
- Emergency Plus App (000, SES, Police)
Be croc aware around our boat ramps!
DANGER ZONE! Qld Environment is investigating sightings at Clump Point Boat Ramp.
CROCS LOVE FISH GUTSl Fish carcasses are being dumped at boat ramps. This poses significant danger to both humans and wildlife.
What can you do??
* Report croc sightings to 1300 130 372
* Be crocwise when launching your boat
* Dispose responsibly: NEVER dump fish carcasses at, or near, boat ramps
* Bury fish guts in your garden - they make great compost!
* Bag and freeze at home until bin day
* Educate others: spread the word about being crocwise. Encourage responsible practices throughout your boating and fishing networks.
Let's work together to create a safer environment for everyone!
Okay ladies: put these dates in your calendar if you haven't had a breast check in 12 months. Prevention is better than cure, and you could save your life.
This fabulous Service provides free breast screens (mammograms), particularly for women aged 50 – 74, but is also available for women in their 40s and those over 75. Appointments can be booked by phoning 13 20 50, or online.
For all of you who love to hang out at Tuskers for their fabulous meals, drinks, and live music, please note that they are closing for their well-deserved annual break from Monday 22nd January until March 29th (Good Friday).
So if you want to have one last 'cheers' for a couple of months - call in this weekend!
Start 2024 right & get into Pilates run by a senior physiotherapist!
Thursday mornings & Saturdays are both up & running & the Thursday afternoon class starts again on 1st Feb.
For more information give us a call on 40682074.
*Intro offer only available to newcomers.
**Classes may be claimable under PHI.
South Mission Beach and Cardwell foreshores will receive protection against coastal erosion thanks to over $300,000 in Queensland Government funding administered through the LGAQ’s Coastal Hazard Adaptation Program - QCoast2100.
Cassowary Coast Councillor for Environment Jeff Baines explained how the funding is vital to ensuring the region’s coastal areas are protected for years to come, including a first for North Queensland councils.
“The funding will be split into two key projects, the first of which will include beach nourishment, dune revegetation and restoration activities at both South Mission Beach and Cardwell,” said Cr. Baines
Tor read more, click on 'Read More'
WIN A MEAT TRAY!
Additional prizes include -
- Bottles of Quality Wine
The raffles kick off at 4.30pm in the Sports Bar at the Mission Beach Resort. (Come and say g'day to Ben too- he's the friendly new Manager at Mission Beach Resort!)
Proceeds are donated back into the local community where assistance and help is needed.
Get lucky at Mission Beach Resort!